A planning tool for preliminary assessment of transportation infrastructure vulnerable to current and future flooding
The University of Florida GeoPlan Center is offering a technical training workshop on the Sea Level Scenario (SLS) Sketch Planning Tool, a set of publicly accessible GIS tools (sls.geoplan.ufl.edu) intended to help identify transportation infrastructure exposed to current and future flooding.
– How to use the updated Sea Level Scenario Sketch Planning Tool map viewer;
– Introduction to sea level change concepts and SLR projections from U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
– How to view current flood risk areas, projected future flood areas from SLR, and affected infrastructure using the map viewer;
– How to download GIS layers of SLR and affected transportation;
– Optional (for those with GIS software): How to install and run the SLR Inundation Surface Calculator for ArcMap.
Who Should Attend? MPO/TPO/TPA staff, Regional Planning Council staff, and county and municipal staff involved in transportation planning, coastal resiliency efforts, and GIS and mapping.
Participants will need to bring a laptop or tablet – sharing is OK.
These workshops are free! But space is limited.
AICP members can earn Certification Maintenance (CM) credits for this activity. More information about AICP’s CM program can be found at www.planning.org/cm
Background on Sea Level Rise and SLR Projections
Overview of Sketch Planning Tool: Methods and Uses
Demonstration of Sketch Planning Tool Components
Hands-on training exercises: Using the online map viewer
Group exercise: conduct a vulnerability assessment
Report out (group exercise findings) and closing
Contact Crystal Goodison: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tallahassee City Hall
Tallahassee Room (2nd Floor)
300 S Adams St, Tallahassee, FL
Destin Community Center
101 Stahlman Ave, Destin, FL
Plan Hillsborough Room
601 E Kennedy Blvd # 18, Tampa, FL
Sarasota/ Manatee MPO
7632 15th St E, Sarasota, FL
100 W Cypress Creek Rd #650, Fort Lauderdale, FL
St. Lucie TPO
466 SW Port St Lucie Blvd #111, Port St Lucie, FL
North Florida TPO
980 N Jefferson St, Jacksonville, FL
Brevard County Emergency Management Office
1746 Cedar Street, Rockledge, FL